No matter what your child care situation, you want to have a back-up plan for child care in place for the inevitable day when something goes wrong.
- If you will use a nanny or your child is in a family day care, ask the provider what they will do if they are unable to care for your child due to their own illness or personal emergency.
- If your nanny comes from an agency, see if the agency will send a substitute. (Make sure you can check the credentials of the back-up caregiver well before you need her help.)
- Even if the child care provider tells you that there is a plan in place for these contingencies, have your own plan as well.
- Some day care centers and family day care homes allow parents to bring children in on an as-needed basis. You should locate such facilities well before you need them. Most will require you to register your child ahead of time, and some may require payment of an application fee.
- Drop-in care tends to be more expensive per hour or per day than regular full-time care. In an emergency, however, it could be well worth the price.
Here are three local child care centers that offer back-up/drop-in child care. Our inclusion of these centers on this website should not be interpreted as an endorsement of these centers by the Caregivers at Carolina Program. You are strongly encouraged to review the center’s compliance history at Division of Child Development and Early Education
- Acorn operates as a registry and refers qualified, home care professionals who are experienced child care providers.
- This service is ideal when you have some advance warning that your usual child care provider will be unavailable or when you anticipate that your child will be home sick for several days.
- Caregivers are evaluated with a rigorous 13-step screening process that includes interviews, background checks (including DMV, sex offender, and SSN databases), skills evaluations, aptitude assessments and reference checks
- Founders are personally involved in evaluating every caregiver
- Fully insured with bonding and liability insurance.